Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Ethnic Food In SW Missouri-Part 1

Growing up in Southwest Missouri in the 60s through the early 80s, I can't say we had many choices when it came to ethnic foods.  We had a few.  But when I say "ethnic", I'm being very liberal. 

Most the ethnic food served in Springfield at the time was heavily modified to accommodate the local palate.  Meaning not very spicy and fried if at all possible.  These modifications ended up with surprising results, the best being Springfield Style Cashew Chicken and Mexican Villa's delicious spin on South-of-the-Border favorites. 

We had Imo's Pizza or Pizza Hut for Italian...
St. Louis style Pizza. Notice the square cut.
 Bamboo Inn for Chinese...
Springfield style Cashew Chicken...FRIED!  A local adaptation.
 
Same thing for Sweet & Sour...FRIED!
 and for Mexican, it was Mexican Villa
Chico Platter: Enchiladas, beans and rice.
Now I know these things aren't authentic, but I sure do love them.  I moved out of the area in the 80s and I've grown to love traditional ethnic foods with a passion.  I eat Japanese Sushi, Thai Pad Kee Mau, Guatemalan Pupusa, Vietnamese Pho, and of course, Mexican tamales, moles and even menudo.  Yes, I like menudo!  However, I sometimes crave the foods I grew up with.
 
Obviously, there are recipes headed your way! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment