Friday, August 31, 2012

Homemade BBQ Sauce

I love me some bbq.  I mean, really.  I love bbq.  Actually, I love bbq sauce.  Thick, sticky, sweet bbq sauce.  For years my favorite has been K.C. Masterpiece.  I've strayed and tried other brands but I always come back to my old tried and true.
 
For years, I've been searching for a copycat recipe to make my own at home.  I like to make my own condiments.  The stuff you buy at the store is full of preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, artificial dyes and colors.  Nothing I want to feed my family.  BLECK!
 
I found a recipe today.  I saw the same one repeated over and over so I really don't know the exact origin.  It claims to be an almost perfect taste alike.  After reading over the ingredients, I realized I had every single one in my pantry.  Finally!  The search is over.  I have triumphed!  I can make gallons of sauce at home!  WOOHOO!
 
With great anticipation, I gathered my supplies.  Molasses?  Check.  Garlic powder?  Check.  Liquid smoke? Check.  I measured and mixed and soon had a pot of liquid gold (or I guess red) bubbling happily on the stove.  Of course, I tasted it in the beginning.  It was ok but nothing spectacular.  I figured the hour-plus cooking time required would blend and mellow all the flavors. 
 
It's intoxicating smell filled the house and I dreamed of racks of ribs and grilled chickens.  I went to stir the pot occasionally (laughing as I've been accused of this before), taking a small taste.  Hmmm...ok...but still not quite right but I figured it wasn't quite ready.  I continued to let it simmer until it was rich and thick.  The time had come.  I grabbed a spoon and dug in. 
 
Nope, no triumph.  No gallons.  This was not it.  Although the sauce was decent, it definitely did not taste like K.C.Masterpiece.  The search continues. 
 
Still the best!
For you who are interested, here is the recipe I followed:
 
2 cups water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
3 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
 
Mix all ingredients.  Bring to a boil then simmer for approximate an hour until sauce is thick.   
 


No comments:

Post a Comment