Monday, December 16, 2013

Mexican Amore & Guisado Rojo (Red Chili Pork)

I've mentioned in the past that Hubs and I do love us some Mexican food.  I don't think love is too strong a word.  We eat some sort of Mexican meal at least two or three times a week, sometimes more.

I am fortunate to have a good friend who is from Mexico and who's family owns several restaurants in my area.  As a matter of fact, he is now a friend because of those restaurants.  It's a real Latin romance story!

Several years ago, my best bud and I went to our favorite Mexican spot to eat.  Unfortunately, that night they were closed due to a water main breaking.  We were bummed.  We were desperate for some of their delicious food.  To our good fortune, they told they owned two more restaurants and one was fairly close.  So off we went to Moore, OK, for our chips, salsa, and my personal favorite, Chili Rellenos! 

We finally find the place, get seated, and out comes a handsome smiling muchacho, bearing chips and Dos Equis.  When I tell you this, I really mean it.  I saw the sparks fly between my friend and this handsome man.  Their fingers briefly touched, their eyes met, and BAM!  That was it.  Amore!

I'm happy to report that one wedding, seven children (she has 4, he has 3), and 10 years later, these two are still as much in love as they were that magic evening.  Just try to tell me love at first sight isn't true!  I know better!

Anyway, our friends have passed on some of their delicious recipes and this is one of my Hubs' favorites.  You can also make it with chicken or beef but we like pork best.  If you like food really spicy, add more of the Japanese Chili Pods.  And yes, I had all these hanging around my pantry.  We use a ton of chilis in cooking as I make a lot of ethnic dishes. 

A trick for tomatillos.  As you know, they have a sticky husk which can be somewhat difficult to get off.  Freeze the tomatillos first and the husks will pull right off.  Easy peasy!
 
Guisado Rojo
1-1/2 lbs. Country-style Pork Ribs (you can use any kind of pork but this is best)
1/2 Onion, chopped
3 tomatillos
1 large Tomato or 2-3 small Roma tomatoes
1 Jalapeno  (I didn't have one so I used 8 pickled jalapeno rings)
4-5 Dried Large Chili Peppers (I used Pasilla/Ancho Chilis, California Chilis, & Mulato Chili Pods)
2-3 Small Dried Chili Peppers (Japanese Chili Pods, those little hot ones)
2 cloves Garlic
1 teaspoon Cumin, ground
1/4 teaspoon Clove
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Black Pepper, ground
1-2 tablespoons Oil (I tend to use Olive Oil but use whatever you have)

Cut the tops off of the chilis and take out all the seeds. 
Place in a saucepan and cover with water.
Bring to a boil and cook until soft.
In another saucepan, put the tomatillos, tomato, and jalapeno. 
Cover with water and boil until all are soft. 
Watch water levels in both pans and add water as needed until veggies are soft.

While this boils, cut pork into similar size cubes.
Brown in oil.
Add onions and cook until onions are translucent.  Keep warm.
Add soft chilis to the tomatillo mixture.
Add garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and clove. 
Blend until smooth using a blender or hand blender. 
Pour this over the pork and onion.
Bring to a boil and then simmer until pork is tender and sauce has thickened.
Serve with Mexican rice, pico de gallo, and warm corn tortillas. 
Sour cream, grated cheese, chopped onions, tomatoes, lime, shredded lettuce and cilantro can also be sprinkled on as desired.  Eat as a taco or mix with the rice.  Either way is delish! 

1 comment:

  1. I've made this recipe a few times, and it's gotten rave reviews. It's easy to make and delicious. If you're like me and love burning your mouth with spice, only de-seed about half of the chili peppers. Lovely recipe though, thank you!

    ReplyDelete