Sunday, December 1, 2013

Egg Nog French Toast

Tis the season!  WOOHOO!  Yup, things are starting to look a lot like Yuletide here at Tenderfoot Hearth.  The tree is up, the dishes are out, and we're putting up outside decorations this weekend.

In the spirit of the holiday season, my Hubs brought home a big carton of Egg Nog.  Now I must confess, Egg Nog is not a favorite of mine.  To be 100% honest, I don't like it at all.  I'm not much of a milk fan to begin with and Egg Nog is so thick, well, I just can't do it.  It does smell divine though, with it's blend of vanilla, nutmeg, and other spices. 

This morning, I was craving French Toast.  I always put nutmeg and vanilla in mine and a light bulb went off.  Why not use Egg Nog in place of the milk?  Hmmmmm....sounded interesting. 

Let me tell you, ladies and gentlemen, I will never, ever dis Egg Nog again.  It makes the most delicious French Toast you can imagine.  It even enticed my 'I don't eat breakfast' Hubs to come running to the kitchen after just on bite.  Yes, it's that good.

Hubs ate his straight up, no syrup.  I warmed up some whole berry cranberry sauce and spread on mine.  Mmmmmm.  The tartness of the cranberries went perfectly with the sweet goodness of the Toast.  We both agreed it would be delicious with some real maple syrup. 

This dish will be gracing our table for our 'Morning After Yule' breakfast.  I have a feeling we have a new tradition in our house.  I hope it becomes one of yours as well.

Egg Nog French Toast
Recipe makes 6 slices
Left over loaf French Bread (needs to be a bit stale)
2 Tablespoons real Butter
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Egg Nog
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon

Slice French Bread into 6 slices, approximately 1 to 1-1/2 inches.  Set aside.

In a shallow dish (I use one we get from Chinese take-out), beat the two eggs.
Add the Egg Nog and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.
Soak bread slices in mixture, about 1 minute on each side.
Spray skillet with Non-Stick Spray and heat to medium.
Break 1 tablespoon butter into small pieces and melt.
Once butter is melted, add slices and cook until lightly brown.
Add the other piece of butter and flip slices, making sure butter goes under slices.
 
Cook until browned.
 Put on plate and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment