Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cooking the Kale and Swiss Chard!

Finally!  My little garden has paid off.  I waited patiently for this moment! 

Here is my first harvest of the kale and Swiss chard I planted awhile back.  A big ole sink full!
I am please with my haul!
 
After I rinsed it, I spun it dry in my Salad Spinner.  I tell ya, those things are wonderful.  Of course, since it was nice and fresh, it was definitely making it to the dinner plate tonight. 
 
My favorite way to cook greens is to not over-cook them.  I don't care for mushy veggies in general and particularly greens. YUCK!  I lightly saute them and everyone raves.
Not pictured...sugar.
Garlicky Good Greens
1 mess of greens (I had a large colander full)
Garlic (I used 4 cloves)
Fresh course ground pepper-to taste
Sea salt-to taste
Crushed red pepper-just a pinch (of course if you like hot stuff, feel free to add to taste)
Sugar-about a teaspoon
Olive Oil-about 1/4 cup at most
Water-about 1/2 cup
 
Remove stems from kale and chard.  Discard (or put in your compost pile).
 

Cut up kale and chard.  The easiest way is to roll it into a 'cigar' shape & then slice it into thin strips.  Once you have sliced it all, place in a skillet.
 
Next, get your garlic.  Peel and cut off the root end. 
 
Using a garlic press, squish garlic on top of greens.  Yup, squish is a cooking term in my house.  If you don't have a 'garlic squisher', mince it.  Next sprinkle with salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and sugar.
 

Drizzle olive oil over greens and then add water to the pan.
Hard to see olive oil but it's there.  Other pic was too blurry.
 


Saute over medium-high heat, making sure to stir frequently until greens are getting tender and the water has evaporated.  Be careful and don't burn the garlic, otherwise it will become bitter.  You want the greens to retain their color but still be tender.  This takes about 10 minutes.  Yes, they will reduce a lot!  Always start with at least double the amount you want for the finished dish.
 

 
Serve and enjoy! 
 
 
 
 
I served my greens with Rosemary Roasted Cornish Game hens, Israeli couscous, and Rosemary sherry reduction sauce.  It was delicious.  Hubs asked if I could duplicate this exact meal for the In-Laws this weekend.  If that's not a compliment, I don't know what is!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment