Monday, November 5, 2012

Soup For Supper

It's one of those windy cool Autumn days that just requires homemade soup.  And bread.  Yes, homemade soup and bread! 

I rooted around my freezer and pantry and decided upon Chicken Noodle soup with my Honey Oatmeal bread.  Mmmmmm. Sounds so good!  Hubs will be thrilled. 

So the bread is in the bread maker and yes, the house smells wonderful.  Now on to the soup.

I'll be honest, I have a tendency to just throw stuff together.  I only really measure for baked goods because they are picky recipes.  I promise to try to keep track of the amounts of ingredients for you. 

I do think that you should adjust amounts to your family's preferences.  I mince the carrots, celery & onions because my Hubs isn't a big fan and he will eat them this way.  If you like them, cut them into bigger chunks.  Just remember, they will take longer to get nice and tender.  You can also use leftover chicken or turkey instead of starting from scratch.  No homemade chicken broth? Use canned or dry broth starter.  I often use all three.  No sherry?  Leave it out.  It will be delicious without it.  Or try some white wine.  I use Reames frozen Egg Noodles to save time.  Feel free to make your own or you can use dried noodles.  Again, use what you have on hand and what your family prefers.  As you can see, I didn't use fresh carrots because I was out.  I added 1 cup canned carrots when I added the broth.
The Lineup

Chicken Noodle Soup
2 tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 cup minced Onion
1/2 cup minced Celery
1/2 cup minced Carrots
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 lb. chicken tenders, cut into small cubes
6 cups Chicken broth
2 Bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon Garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground Pepper
1/2 cup Cream (optional)
1 package Reames Egg Noodles
1/4 cup Sherry (optional)

Saute onion, celery and carrots in 2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until tender but not browned.

Add the other tablespoon olive oil and chicken.  Turn heat to medium high and saute until chicken is slightly browned.

Add chicken broth, bay leaves, parsley, garlic powder and pepper.  Bring to boil then turn down and let simmer for about 20 minutes.

Add noodles and cream and cook until noodles are almost done, approximately 10 minutes. Add sherry and cook until noodles are tender, approximately another 10 minutes.
 
Noodly goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment