Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bacon Jam-Updated

Bacon Jam.  Bacon Jam.  Come on, say it with me. BACON JAM!!!  OMG! Where have you been all my life?

I ran across bacon jam in search of a delicious and easy appetizer for work.  We have limited cooking space so I needed something I could throw together with minimal effort.  Enter bacon jam.

As I read the recipes, I knew my search was over.  I mean, who doesn't love bacon dipped in maple syrup with their morning pancakes?  Mmmmm...delicious! 

My appetizer is going to be BLT Squares.  Focaccia or crostini  bread, spread with a layer of cream cheese/mayo blend, leafy, green butterhead lettuce, topped with a spoonful of bacon jam, and a slice of  ripe, red tomato.  Doesn't that sound yummy? 

I combined several recipes together, using my family's personal preferences as a guide.  We love sweet, salty & spicy but if you don't, leave out the Sriracha sauce and ground pepper. 

FYI.  I took this to work, served it with mini bagels & cream cheese and it was a huge hit!  Everyone loved it! 

Bacon Jam
1 pound quality Bacon (mine was hickory smoked)
1 small Onion, chopped
4-5 cloves Garlic, smashed or minced
1/2 cup dark Brown Sugar
1/2 cup strong brewed Coffee
1/4 cup Maple Syrup (I confess. I used regular pancake syrup)
1 Tbl. Balsamic Vinegar
1/8 tsp. fresh ground coarse Pepper
2 Bay Leaves
1-2 Tbl. Sriracha Sauce (commonly called 'Rooster Sauce')
1 Tbl. Worcestershire Sauce

Cut bacon strips into 3 section and cut into small cubes.  If you freeze the bacon for a few minutes, it'll be easier to cut.



Brown slowly in a heavy-bottomed pan.  I used the medium setting and it worked great.  This will take about 20-30 minutes.  You want to render out as much of the fat as possible.
Once the bacon is brown and slightly crispy, drain. Save the grease.*
Use about 1-2 tablespoons bacon grease and sauté the onions until softened and gold.  Add garlic and cook for another minute.
Add bacon to onions and mix.
Add brown sugar, coffee, maple syrup, vinegar, pepper, bay leaves, Sriracha, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine.
Bring to a boil then turn down to a light simmer.  Cover and continue to simmer until thickened. 
Take off lid and keep simmering until very thick and gooey.  Be careful not to burn during the last few minutes.  Also be careful not to splatter yourself.  This stuff is like napalm!
See how it sticks to the back of the spoon.
Let sit until cooled and then put in a container.  I used an old salsa jar.  Refrigerate any unused portion.
Of course, I had to try some.  I toasted a couple of pieces of French bread, smeared on some cream cheese, and spooned on the bacon jam.  Yup, it was as delicious as I thought it would be!

*Whatever you do, do not throw the grease down your kitchen sink.  It WILL clog!  Besides, there are a million & one uses for bacon grease.  Use it for fried eggs or fried potatoes.  Dip one side of a canned biscuit and place oiled side down in the pan to bake.  Here is a great website with some more tasty ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment