Thursday, August 29, 2013

Old School Dessert-Dream Whip & Jello

I was snooping around my pantry today, looking to make a sweet treat for dinner tonight.  Deep in theback, I found one lonely package of Dream Whip and a box of strawberry Jello. This brought back fond memories of my childhood. 

Remember Dream Whip?  It's shelf-stable, uses items I always have and doesn't take up space in the freezer like Cool Whip. 

I am a child of the early 70s.  The Brady Bunch ruled the TV, The Jackson 5 ruled the radio,
and Jello reigned supreme! 

We ate a lot of different concoctions in those years.  Glass salad, Poke cake & Jello molds, but my favorite was pretty simple.  Jello mixed with Dream Whip.  Easy and delicious.  Call me old fashioned but I do think the simple things taste the best. 

 
Old School Jello Whip
1 Box Gelatin (choose your favorite flavor)
1 cup boiling Water
1 cup Cold Water
1 package Dream Whip
1/2 cup cold Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla (box say 1/2 but if 1/2 is good, 1 is even better!)

Empty gelatin into a medium-size bowl. 
Pour in 1 cup boiling water and stir until all the sugar melts. 
Pour in cold water, stir, then set in refrigerator for about 3 hours to set.
Meanwhile, make Dream Whip.

Empty on package of Dream Whip into bowl.
Add milk and vanilla and using whipping attachment, beat on medium for 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
Keep about 2 tablespoons Dream Whip separate for decoration.
Gently fold Dream Whip into gelatin using a spatula.
Spoon into glasses.
If you don't want to get fancy, just put it back into the bowl. 
Refrigerate for an hour.
Garnish with a dollop of Dream Whip.

6 comments:

  1. My mom made this dessert in the 79's, due to stomach issues she had to eat jello. Everything is on my grocery list. Thanks for bringing back good memories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to make this, but not let the jell-o set all the way, so that when you mix in the Dream Whip you would get a consistent texture. As kids we used to call this "Fuzzy Jell-O". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was a recipe called dessert pastel. hadn't thought of this in years! used to make all the time in the 70's

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back so many memories of my childhood. I prefer using vegan jello & will buy Dream Whip 😁

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandma made something very similar except she would take an angel food cake and tear it in tiny pieces. Then she would whip the Jell-O, prepared dream whip and cake all together and then refrigerate it. It was the best stuff and it made it a lot

    ReplyDelete