Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Soft & Delicious White Bread

OK, my normal go-to for homemade bread is usually whole wheat based.  So what's a girl to do when she's out of whole wheat flour but needs some bread?  Well, I'll tell you what.  Use what you have and make white bread.

I know, I know.  White bread has a bad rap.  I feel OK about this one because I know every single ingredient in it and there are no preservatives or chemicals to gunk it up.  Just simple, real ingredients.  If you have organic ingredients, use that.  If not, making bread from scratch is still leaps and bounds above store-bought bread.  And if you have picky eaters, at least you know this bread is wholesome and healthy. 

This recipe delivered!  The bread was pillow soft and delicious.  It will definitely be a go-to for those times when wheat bread just isn't called for.  Sometimes you just want 'light bread' for things like old fashioned tuna salad or grilled cheese sandwiches.  As much as I love my whole wheat breads, it just doesn't work for some things. 
Soft White Bread
1 cup hot Water                                             
2 teaspoons Yeast (this is one 1/4 oz. package)                               
3 tablespoons Sugar                                       
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon Salt                                             
3 cups White Flour                                
1.  Pour hot water into bread maker and add sugar.  Stir until sugar melts. 
2.  Evenly sprinkle with yeast.
3.  Let sit until yeast blooms and is foamy, about 10 minutes.
4  Pour in oil, salt and flour. DO NOT MIX!
5. Set to 1.5 lb. loaf and basic white cycle and bake.
This is what you end up with.
And if you're me, this is what you end up with!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment