Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Honey Oatmeal Seed Bread

Fall is in the air and it turns my thoughts to hearty stews bubbling away in the crock pot and butter melting on warm-from-the-oven bread.  

Mmmmmm
I have to say, Fall is one of my favorite cooking seasons.  Mother Nature provides such a bountiful harvest.  Tart, crisp apples. Earthy turnips and yams.  Pumpkins, cranberries and delicious chewy seeds and grains.  Yeah, I love Fall.

One of my favorite ways to use grain & seeds is for Honey Oatmeal Seed Bread.  This is our 'go to' bread.  It's delicious for sandwiches, toast, or just smeared with fresh butter.  Leftovers make great croutons, bread pudding & bread crumbs.  Yup, we use up every single scrap.  Sometimes, if I'm feeling particularly giving, I'll share a big slice with the squirrels and birds outside.  They love it as much as we do.

I use a bread maker since I make a few loaves a week. 

The line up
Honey Oatmeal Seed Bread

1 cup water, very hot
1/2 cup oats (I use either old-fashioned or quick cook.  Just don't use instant)
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon molasses
1 large egg
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup flax seed
3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1-1/2 cups white flour
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons yeast

This recipe make a 1-1/2 pound loaf. Make sure to use the light setting.
Pour oats into bread maker & cover with hot water.  Let sit until slightly cooled.  Add butter, salt, honey, molasses and egg.  Layer on both seeds, then add flours.  Sprinkle yeast over the top.  Bake and devour!

A well-used bread maker is a thing of beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment