Saturday, February 16, 2013

Easy Huevos Rancheros

I eat a lot of eggs for breakfast.  My go-to is an egg-white omelet filled with a variety of veggies and cheese.  However, sometimes I crave something different.  I wanted something warm and spicy today so I whipped up Huevos Rancheros. 

Traditional Huevos Rancheros consists of fried eggs served on top of fried corn tortillas, covered in a  tomato chili sauce.  WAY too much work and fat for a morning meal in my opinion.  I came up with a much easier way to get the flavor without all the effort.

This recipe is for one serving but it can easily be modified for more.  Just add more sauce and eggs to the pan.  If you want a more filling meal, add a side of refried beans &/or rice. 

Easy Huevos Rancheros for One
1/2 cup Salsa
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 scant teaspoon Sugar
1/8 cup Water
1 large Egg
1/8 cup Cheddar Cheese
2 Corn Tortillas
Cilantro to garnish

Spray a small saucepan with cooking spray or wipe with a small amount of oil.  Combine salsa, cumin, sugar and water and pour into saucepan.  Bring sauce to simmer.
Crack egg and drop into simmering sauce, being careful to keep yolk intact. Cover with lid. 
 
Check egg and turn off heat when done to your taste.  I like my whites set with a runny yolk. 
Add cheese and cover to allow steam and residual heat to melt cheese.
While cheese is melting, place two corn tortillas on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for approximately 30 seconds.
Using a large spoon, scoop up egg, being careful not to break the yolk and place on tortillas. Spoon sauce around egg.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.

2 comments:

  1. my daughter who just graduated culinary school taught me to make this yummy dish using nacho chips, it saved a step with frying up the torillas and it was just as good. love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lana,
    I'll have to give that a try. Sounds delish! Glad you're enjoying the site. Thanks for your comment.
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete