Friday, February 15, 2013

My Sandy Spot and Succulents

Even though today has been pretty cool (it's only 39 at the moment), I'm dreaming of warmer weather.  Of course, this means I'm dreaming about my gardens and what I'm going to do this year. 

February is half over so it won't be long until I can start planting.  I have one area that's been in a sort of limbo since we moved here.  It's a flower bed beside the driveway.  Here is what it looked like when we bought the house.
As you can see, it looked pretty sad.  I pulled out all the scraggly flowers and such. 
The rest of the driveway has a Monkey Grass border, so I thought it made sense to continue the theme. This is how it looked when I finished.  Sorry. The picture is a little blurry but you can see it made a huge difference.
 
Last Summer I tried growing sun-loving herbs in this spot.  I planted rosemary, sage, leeks, lavender, and Thai basil.  The rosemary and sage did okay but never got very big.  The leeks, lavender, and basil didn't do well at all.  The soil is just a bit too sandy to hold water.  What to do?
 
As I've been looking through garden photos on Pinterest, I came across a brilliant idea.  I am going to plant a succulent garden!
 
Heat resistant? Check.  Low water needs? Check.  Easy to grow?  Check.  Beautiful?  You betcha!  I was so surprised to see how many beautiful varieties and colors are available. I think I may be able to salvage what, up until now, has been a bit of an eyesore.  The Lady-Across-The-Street will be so happy!
 
My spot isn't huge so obviously, I'll have to keep it a bit more simple but here are some samples at what I hope to do.  I love the lime green plant in the first pic, the spiky dark plant in the second, and the very colorful pink floral plants in the third.  Throw in a few Hens & Chicks and a couple Prickly Pear cactus (I want to eat them!), and it will make for a beautiful and colorful display.  I hope so anyway.  It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment