Wednesday, January 2, 2013

An Old-Fashioned Cookie Recipe

I meant to post this before the holidays but just didn't get around to it.  So you'll just have to wait until the next holiday to pull this one out.  Or not.  These are delicious anytime but trust me, just make them for special occasions.  You'll end up eating way too many if you don't share them.

This recipe has been in my family for countless generations.  It's an old-fashioned shortbread cookie made with simple ingredients.  Every single person I've shared this with wants the recipe and looks forward to them as much as my own family.  I hope they become a hit in your family too.

I'm fortunate in the fact that most of my family lives in pecan tree country.  Every fall, my mother sends me fresh pecans so all my holiday treats are extra good.  If you can get fresh pecans, use them but if not, store-bought work just fine. 

Pecan Balls
4 cups Flour
1 pound Butter
1-1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cup Sugar
2 cups Pecans
Powdered Sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Chop pecans fine and set aside.

Cream sugar and softened butter. 
Add vanilla. 
Slowly add flour, one cup at a time.  Add nuts.

Make into 2-inch balls. 


Bake until light golden brown.  Let cool slightly. 

Roll in powdered sugar and devour!

One tip:  For extra flakiness, refrigerate the cookies after you make them into balls. 

You can make different flavors too.  Substitute almonds for the pecans and almond extract for the vanilla.  Bake as normal but don't roll in powdered sugar.  Let cookies cool then drizzle with melted milk or dark chocolate, then drizzle with melted cherry flavored chips if you can find them.  Delicious.  Use walnuts and maple flavoring.  Substitute mini chocolate chips for some or all of the nuts.  I've also used toasted coconut and dipped them in white chocolate.  Use your imagination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment