Saturday, January 19, 2013

Big vs Small

http://momoge.com/cottage-country-red-house/
Simplicity.  That is what I am longing for.  The world I live in is anything but.  I live in a big house with a big yard, a big swimming pool in a big city.  I'm going to work for a big box store soon.  All these things are lovely and I am very thankful and grateful I am fortunate enough to have them.  But they come at a steep price, financially, emotionally, and spiritually. 

The truth is this:  I want small.  I want simple.  I want to wake up when the warm sun caresses my face instead of to the harsh sound of an alarm clock.  I want to simply wash my face and brush my teeth and hair and be ready for the day instead of wasting moments of my life spritzing & styling & putting on my 'face'.  I want to have short nails with beet root stains and maybe a little bit of fresh dirt under them instead of pretty painted ones.  I want to spend my days barefoot, touching our precious Mother Earth instead of my feet being trapped inside sweaty shoes and walking on concrete. 

I want a small country homestead.  A little piece of land to call my own.  A place that feels snug & comfortable & safe.  Somewhere there is peace and serenity. 

I know a homestead involves a lot of work.  There is always something to do but it's different.  When you work on a homestead, the work means something.  It means you are taking care of your family.  It means you are able to provide for yourself.  It means you are one with your land, your animals and in constant contact with forces greater than yourself.  It means going with the flow.  Learning how to take each moment as it comes.  It means actually enjoying what you do versus tolerating what you do. 

Yeah, there is a deep, deep place inside me that is longing for this lifestyle.  I hope someday to be able to do so.  Until then, I will do what I can with what I have.  Making simple changes in the life here in my big house with its big yard, big pool in the big city.  Someday....

No comments:

Post a Comment