Monday, January 7, 2013

Updated: Homemade Miracle Whip

One of my New Year's resolutions is to not eat any fast food. Although I didn't make this resolution formally, I am going to try to make things from scratch as much as possible too.  Not too tough to do when you know how to and love to cook. 

Yesterday, I made pork schnitzel and honey oatmeal bread.  It was delicious and I had enough leftover to make a nice sandwich today.  I also have lettuce, onions, and bread & butter pickles.  But one key ingredient was missing:  Miracle Whip. 
Was SO good!
Yup, I'm a Miracle Whip kind of gal.  Mayo is OK and I eat it in a pinch, but I love the 'tangy zip'.    Maybe it's a Southern 'thang'.  No one in my family uses mayo. 

I remember a long time ago, my mother made some potato salad to take to a friend's pot luck.  I came in at the end of the process and decided I needed to do a taste test.  You know, just to make sure it was good enough to serve to her friends.  I got a bit ole spoonful, shoved it into my mouth and about gagged!  I was expecting sweet and creamy with a hint of sugary goodness from sweet pickles.  What I got was mayonnaise and dill!  NOT what I was expecting to say the least.  I told my mom that something was wrong with that batch of potato salad.  She just laughed and told me this is how her friend liked it.  To this day, I still cannot imagine why!

Anyway, since I had all the ingredients to make homemade Miracle Whip, I decided to go for it.  Why spend $4 or $5 for a jar when I could just make it at home.  I have made it in the past with somewhat dubious success.  It tasted right but was a bit thin and runny.  So I decided to try a different recipe.  I googled (still laughing that this is now a verb) and found a lot of recipes.  Here is the one I went with, adding a few modifications as I went along.

Miracle Whip
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
1-1/2 cups oil
1/2 cup boiling water
1-1/2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons vinegar

1.  Blend egg yolks, salt, sugar, and 1 tablespoon vinegar/lemon juice until blended.

2.  Slowly drip 1 cup of oil, a few drops at a time, incorporating thoroughly before adding more.

3.  Add remaining 1/2 cup of oil a bit faster, making sure to incorporate before adding more.
4.  Add remaining lemon/vinegar and blend the set aside.
5.  Mix water, flour, dry mustard, paprika, garlic powder, and vinegar in a small saucepan.
6.  Bring to a boil and simmer until smooth and thickened. 
7.  Slowly add this hot mix to the mayo and blend well.

8.  Put into container and cool.

Notes: 
1. This will take some time.  Make sure to add oil very, very slowly and let mix completely.  If you don't, the mayo will 'break' and you won't be able to blend it together at all.  Be patient.
2.  I added a bit more vinegar, about a tablespoon, when I finished for more 'zip'.  Next time, I will use a combination of vinegar and lemon juice.  I was out of lemons but I think this will add a bit more flavor.
3.  I increased the powdered sugar and paprika from the original recipe.  I found it to be slightly bland until I did so.
4.  If you just want to make mayonnaise, just use the first 5 ingredients and call it a day.  I tasted it and it was pretty good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment