Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Lesson in Hurricane Sandy

Before I say anything else, I want to send my prayers and thoughts to the thousands who were and still are in the path of Hurricane Sandy.

I have several East coast friends who were in the brunt of the hurricane and have seen their updated pictures throughout the evening and early hours this morning. It's bad, people. Very bad.

One of my friends is a Councilman in New York and lives on Long Island. Although our politics don't always agree, I have to say Dan is definitely a man who works for his people. He was out in the middle of the storm, tracking flooding, fallen trees and electrical outages, reporting his findings in real time to his constituents. His reports & photos were both horrifying and fascinating.

This, my friends, is why we prepare.

Photo Credit: Dan Halloran
Photo Credit:  Dan Halloran



I had friends who took a very laisse a faire attitude in the days leading up to Sandy. I worry for those folks. It's the old "It won't happen to me" thought that gets people in serious trouble.  Few have been online today due to power outages, so I wait.  I can only hope that they are safe and their property didn't suffer too much damage. 

Meanwhile, the last 24 hours have really hit the message home for me.  Will I be a victim or will I take responsibility for me and my family?  I know my answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment