Friday, October 12, 2012

Donning the Uniform

I lost my job about a year ago and though I've worked as a contractor a bit, I consider myself a full-time Hausfrau for the moment.  I know it's a temporary position but one that both Hubs and I hope will change in the future.  Actually, we're doing more than hoping.  We're actively planning on it becoming a permanent position.  We both enjoy it. 

Being home the last year has also taught us a lot. 

Hubs has learned how important he is to our family.  When I was working, we shared the financial & household responsibilities.  Now that we are down to one income, we've settled into more traditional rolls.  Hubs has really taken on the mantle of being 'The Man of the House' and has become proud of his ability to provide for us. I think it's the first time in his life that he really feels 'manly' (he's an artistic type) and it manifests in many ways.  He's doing very well in his career and is much more authoritative (in a good way) with his son than ever before.

I've learned to take real pride in the running of my home and taking care of my family.  I realize that the old motto 'If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy' is so true!  I set the mood for our home.  Since I have time to take care of myself now, I am able to, in turn, really cater to the needs of my men.  If Hubs had a rough day at work, I can make sure the house is a place of rest for him to return home to. Soft light, gentle music, a tasty meal, and loving arms go a long way to soothing over the harsh realities of the work day.  If Step-Son had a rough week, he knows when he is here, he has my time and attention and will listen to his worries (such that a 5-year-old have) and will help him through them.  Yes, being able to stay home is a true gift.

Another thing I've learned is that everyone needs a uniform. Uniforms help establish what we are to the world and to ourselves.  It helps define our roles and the jobs we perform. 

 Hubs has one.  He dons his button down collar and tie and everyone who sees him knows he's a business man.  Son has one too.  He puts on his clothes and backpack and all know he's prepared for a day of study. 

And me?  Well, I have a uniform too.  My uniform is the Apron.  It's an age-old uniform with well-defined mental connections.  The moment I tie one around my waist, I am transformed. I am instantly recognized as 'Lady of the House'. 

I have a small but growing collection of Aprons. I usually wear one for a couple of days, depending of course, on how dirty it gets. I use them to cook. I use them to clean. I wear one in the garden. I even forget sometimes and wear them running errands. Funny thing is, when I do, I seem to get treated a bit, ummm, different.  Different in a good way.  Respected.  Perhaps revered a bit? 

Those little pieces of cloth and string evoke strong memories in myself and everyone who sees me.  Memories of a beloved grandma who always had a piece of candy hidden in the depths of pockets to secretly share when parents weren't looking.  Mothers in the kitchen who stopped cooking to wipe away tears from a youngster who came crying after scraping an elbow or knee.  Neighbor ladies who baked and shared cookies.  Aunts who brought in delicious vegetables from the garden, cocooned in deep folds, to make salads and chow chow.  Yes, deep and beautiful memories.

Aprons.  A HausFrau's armor.  If you've never experienced the power of the Apron, tie one on! 
Fall Collection 2012



1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Warrior Priestess! I do love my aprons. I hope all the beautiful ladies who read this will give them a try. I think they will be surprised!

    ReplyDelete