Friday, October 26, 2012

A Tasty Low-Carb Breakfast

Since I've been changing my eating habits, I've had to get creative in the kitchen. It's pretty easy at lunch and dinner, but breakfast has been somewhat of a challenge.

Eggs have been my go-to for a high protein, low-carb meal.  I typically make some sort of omelet or else I make scrambled/fried egg with a side of bacon, sausage or ham.  Don't get me wrong, I do like a traditional American breakfast, but after two weeks I'm getting a little bored with it. 

Since I love veggies (you should see my omelets!), I decided to switch things around a bit.  This is what I came up with.  I can make many variations using different ingredients. 

Feeling Mexican?  Throw in some cumin and chili powder, use lean chiorizo, and top with a bit of salsa and Queso Fresco.  American? Switch the spinach for mustard or collard greens, leave out the garlic powder and hot pepper flakes and use country ham with an American cheese slice. 

Other changes can be using kale or Swiss chard for the spinach.  Change the green pepper to red peppers or roasted peppers.  Use different types of cheeses.  Throw in some mushrooms or leftover low-carb veggies.  Switch up the spices.  The possibilites are almost limitless! 


Italian Skillet Fry
One Serving
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
2 tablespoon Onion, chopped
1/4 cup Green Pepper, chopped
2-1/2 cups fresh Spinach
2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
Salt to taste (Optional. Cheese & sausage have plenty already)
Pepper to taste
Hot Pepper Flakes to taste (Leave out if you don't like spicy)
1/4 cup Italian Sausage Crumbles (I had this on hand. Use regular Italian sausage if you don't)
Cooking spray
1 egg
1 slice cheese, about 1 ounce (Shredded mozzarella or Parmesan are best but use what you have)

Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small skillet. Add peppers and onions and cook until both are softened. Add spinach, garlic powder, salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes and Italian sausage. Saute until spinach is wilted. Add a bit of water if this mix starts sticking but make sure all of it has boiled off before plating.
Put on plate and set aside.
Rinse and dry pan.
Spray pan with cooking spray. Fry the egg to your desired level of done-ness. I like mine over medium (set white, runny warm yolk).
Once egg is cooked, cover with cheese, take off heat, and cover pan with lid to allow cheese to melt.
Put egg & cheese on top of spinach and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment