Monday, October 15, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Oatmeal

I like oatmeal.  I like it plain.  I like it fancy.  I like it thick & I like it thin.  Unfortunately for me, oatmeal just isn't a good breakfast choice.  I'm one of those weird people who needs to eat protein for breakfast.  If I eat carbs (this includes yummy pastries, oatmeal, cereal, french toast or pancakes), I am starving for the rest of the day.  Seriously, I can eat a Jethro Bodine-sized bowl of cereal and an hour later, I'm ready to eat again.  Craziness!

But as I said, I do really like oatmeal, so I eat it as a late-night snack.  I tend to think of it as dessert.  The other night, it was really cool outside (finally!) and I was craving something warm and sweet.  I thought about chocolate chip cookies but it was too late to bake.  I looked in the pantry and saw the oatmeal.  Then I saw the cacao nibs and I hatched a plan.  Chocolate Chip Cookie Oatmeal!

Now I know others have put chocolate chips in oatmeal before but OMG!  THIS recipe was so damn good!  I've made it twice since I made the first batch.  Give it a try.  If you can eat carbs for breakfast, go for it! 

Chocolate Chip Cookie Oatmeal
Makes 1 serving

1/2 cup Oatmeal
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoon cacao nibs
1 tablespoon flax seed
1 teaspoon vanilla
Handful pecans (use any nut you like or leave it out)
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon butter
Honey to your desired sweetness
Cream

Mix together the oatmeal, water, cacao nibs, flax, vanilla, nuts, & salt in a microwaveable bowl.  Microwave 2 to 3 minutes until oatmeal is of your desired consistency.  I like mine a bit chewy.
Drizzle with honey, butter and a splash of cream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment