Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Fall and Make-Them-Now Muffins

Today, it finally feels like fall in Oklahoma.  The morning was clear and cool.  Man, I've been waiting for this!  Fall is my favorite time of year.  I love the colorful leaves spinning slow spirals to the ground.  The crisp smell in the air.  The cool breezes.  Ahhh.  Perfection.

I also love being able to bake again.  With our weeks of crazy 100+ weather, there is no way I was going to crank up the oven!  Here in OK, summer baking is done on the grill. 

I had a few leftover, very ripe bananas sitting on my table so my first official fall baking choice is Banana Nut Muffins.  I also have two full bags of pecans in my freezer.  My Mom picked them last fall and sent them to me.  Sweet, plump Tennessee pecans.  So you can see why muffins came to mind.  For me, this is an inexpensive treat. 
Best muffin I ever had!  Seriously, make them now!
I also added a special, unusual ingredient.  I found cacao nibs at the store.  I was fascinated with the concept although I had no idea what to do with them until now. Yup, they are making their first appearance in the muffins. I mean, what's better than bananas and chocolate, right? If you're a dark chocolate fan, you'll love them.
 

Banana Cacao Nib Muffins
(or as I call them...Make them NOW muffins)
Makes 12

4 ripe bananas
1/3 cup butter melted
1 egg
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup cacao nibs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees & prepare muffin pan.  I used cupcake liners.  Less clean up!
 
Mix butter and bananas in large mixing bowl
 
Add in sugar, egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt.  Mix together.
 
Add flours, nuts and nibs. 
 
Mix just until all is incorporated.  Do not over mix or your muffins will be flat and hard.
 
 
Pour into muffin pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes. 
 
Check with a toothpick.  If it comes out clean, they are ready.  Cool on a rack so the bottoms don't get gooey.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment