Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Fall Projects-Garden

The air was crisp.  There was a light breeze.  Yup, today was the day.  The day I finally tackled that square foot garden.
Fortunately, it went a lot smoother than I anticipated.  I guess the landscaping mat really did its job. There were a few weeds to pull but the soil was loose and the roots were very shallow. YEAH!  It only took about 15 minutes.
 
After I pulled the weeds, I supplemented the old soil.  I'm sure it was probably just fine considering it's been sitting for a year.  Self composting too.  We have big old oak trees so there was a lot of rotted leaves to stir up.  So I hoed in some new dirt into the old dirt, smoothed, and watered lightly.
I got out my trusty roll of cotton twine and restrung my squares.  I forgot how pretty the white grid looks on the dark brown soil.  And finally, I planted my garlic sets!  I can't wait to see what happens through the seasons into next summer.  I hope to have 24 beautiful garlic bulbs.
That's the fun part of gardening.  You just never know what's going to happen.  It requires patience and a lot of hope. 

So for the time being, I shall sip my iced tea, scratch my mosquito bites and dream of yummy things like garlic chicken and pesto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment