Monday, September 24, 2012

Homemade Skills-Tooth Powder


I like nothing more than fresh breath and a sparkling smile.  I did a stint in the 90s as an Oral Surgery Tech and a chair-side Dental Assistant so yeah, it's in my nature.  I also like nothing more than saving money & helping the environment. 

Enter homemade tooth powder.  Frugal, natural, effective and tasty. 

There are a ton of recipes on the Internet.  This is my version.
Tooth Powder
2 parts baking soda
1 part sea salt
Clove oil*
Wintergreen oil*
*Clove and wintergreen oils are pretty potent.  Start with less and add to your taste.  Clove oil is excellent for oral health.  Feel free to substitute peppermint or cinnamon for wintergreen. 

Add soda to Magic Bullet or food processor.

 
Then sea salt.
I used coarse salt but use what you have.  Just don't use table salt.
 
 
Approximately 10 drops of clove oil.
1/8 teaspoon Wintergreen or to taste.
 
Blend together until salt is finely ground and all the oil is incorporated evenly.
 
Put in a lidded jar. 
 
To use, simply dampen your toothbrush and dip or sprinkle with powder.  Yes, it will taste a bit salty and it's not really very sweet.  Trust me, you'll get used to it quickly and will be pleasantly surprised how fresh your mouth feels.  I can't stand how sicklingly sweet and 'chemically' regular toothpaste tastes to me now. 
 
How easy is that, right?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment