Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day Waffles (or Why I Hate Guy Fieri)!

Mmmmmm!
 
I watched too many episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives yesterday.  They featured chicken & waffles on one show and blue cornmeal waffles on another.  They looked so yummy and left me with a hankerin' (yeah that's a word!) for waffles in a bad way. 

I promised myself that today, in honor of Labor Day, I was going to take it easy. No cooking. No cleaning.  Just resting, but damn you, Guy Fieri! This morning, I HAD to whipped some up waffles!  So much for resting!

As I've stated, I'm into making things from scratch.  There is no Bisquick or instant pancake mix in my house. So if I wanted waffles, I had to measure, spoon, mix and whip.  No shortcuts. 

What I ended up with was Light Whole Wheat Waffles. Light and fluffy with a hint of whole wheat goodness.  I don't mean light as in low-calorie.  I mean light as in texture.  These puppies really satisfied my desire and did it in a healthy, natural way. 

P.S. I don't really hate Guy Fieri.  I love his shows. ;)

Labor Day Waffles

Ingredients: **
3 eggs, separated
1-1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbl. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk (can use buttermilk if you have it on hand)
1 tsp. vanilla
4 Tbl. butter (that's 1/4 cup), melted

Steps:
1.  Separate eggs, putting yolks and egg whites into two separate mixing bowls.
2.  Mix yolks with milk and vanilla.
3.  Mix dry ingredients together and add to yolk mixture.  Stir till blended.
4.  Add the rest of the milk and the melted butter. 
5.  Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into yolk batter.
6.  Ladle specified amount into a hot waffle iron and cook.

Serve with lots of sweet creamy butter and real maple syrup.  We've been known to replace the butter with peanut butter.  Good stuff!

Feel free to improvise for your families tastes by adding in chopped nuts, fruit, coconut, chocolate chips, whatever tickles your fancy. 

This makes six 7-inch round waffles.

**I use organic products, free-range eggs, and grass fed hormone/antibiotic free dairy.  I try to find local sources if possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment