Monday, September 10, 2012

Vampires Beware!

I have a clove and I know how to use it!

I live in Oklahoma.  The Autumn here is very temperate and perfect for fall crops.  Things like kale, second crop lettuce, and garlic.  I decided to try my hand with garlic for a harvest next year.  I went to three local nurseries.  No luck.  Went to Lowe's and Home Depot.  Still no luck.  Surly the Country Store in Bethany would have them.  The gentleman there said they had them but sold out already.  I didn't walk out empty handed.  They had some delicious local honey there so I bought a quart.  They also have rabbits and chicks.  I'll keep that in mind for spring.

I even broke down and made a visit to The Evil Empire (Walmart).  Nope, they didn't have them either.

Seriously?  No fall garlic sets in the entire city? 

After two weeks of frantic searching, I finally found my garlic!  Of course it was at the OSU OKC Farmer's Market.  Aren't they pretty?










The lady I got them from was so helpful and sweet.  She told me exactly how to plant them and tend them through the winter.  Even if The Evil Empire had them, I bet they wouldn't have had a clue how to plant them. 

This week, our weather is a bit cooler, highs in the lower 90s (yes, that really IS cooler) and lows at night in the 60s.  Perfect weather for a bit of gardening.

Now the search is on for kale.  


No comments:

Post a Comment