Monday, September 24, 2012

Garden Update

Remember those garlic cloves from a few weeks ago?  Well, check 'em out now!  I'm so excited!

You can also see I planted kale and Swiss chard.  I've never tried fall veggies before so I'm looking forward to watching this grow.  From everything I've read, Oklahoma has the perfect climate in the fall for a good crop.  Warm days with lots of sunlight, cool evenings & a fairly late first frost.  Gives these little guys a fighting chance.

I can't wait for the first harvest later this fall.  I'm also excited to see how far into winter I can extend their growth.  Perhaps a salvaged window cold frame is in my future?

I also can't wait to try sauteing fresh garlic scrapes and sweet new kale next spring. Yum! 

I tell ya.  Gardening really is fun.  You never know what exactly is going to happen.  It's also nice to know as fall turns to winter, in my garden under the snow, there is a secret world waiting to show itself when the sun returns.  The excitement and anticipation will keep me going through the dark of Winternights. 

Speaking of excitement, here is a flower from one of my bushes I though was long dead.
Isn't this beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment