Thursday, September 26, 2013

Carmalized Potatoes or Brúnaðar kartöflur

I was searching around the Web last night, looking at ideas for Mother's Night.  I am hosting a cookie exchange but the men-folk will be here too, so I want to put on a nice Julebord aka a Smorgasbord.  Since we're not strictly confined to one Northern European country, I was searching for ideas and recipes from all of them.  I ran across Brúnaðar kartöflur on an Icelandic cooking site.  I needed a side dish for dinner and these looked delish.  And they were! 

I modified the recipe a bit, adding some salt and fresh ground pepper but I think it remains true to the flavors.  I served them with apple-chipotle glazed salmon and California mix.  Hubs loved them and it gave me a chance to try them out before I serve them to company.

Be forewarned, I used canned potatoes and yes, they did splatter a bit.  I got around this by using a splatter guard but if you don't have one, try using small cold cooked potatoes instead.  Either one will work.

I apologize.  I didn't get the ingredients photo on this one.  
 Caramelized Potatoes or Brúnaðar Kartöflur 
2 15-oz can Potatoes
1/4 cup Butter
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground Pepper
Parsley for sprinkling

Open, drain and rinse potatoes.  Dry in a dish towel, getting off as much water as possible. If there are large potatoes, cut in half.  Set aside.
Put butter and sugar in a skillet and melt on medium heat. 
Add salt, pepper & then add potatoes.
Continue cooking and stirring, making sure all sides of the potatoes are covered with the butter/sugar mixture.
Be sure to put splatter guard over potatoes between stirring to avoid a  nasty little burn.  It will splatter!
Continue to cook until all the potatoes are golden brown.  Be careful not to burn the caramel mixture.  This takes about 20 minutes.  Do not get in a hurry.  If you do, the caramel will burn and taste really bad and you'll ruin the whole dish.
Take out potatoes and then pour remaining butter over and serve.   

Perfect side for salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment