Friday, September 13, 2013

Easy Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

I am the proud owner of a industrial Kitchenaid mixer.  My Mom bought it for us for a housewarming gift.  Let me tell you, it's been used a lot.  I use it to make pizza dough, bread, cookies, whipping cream, you name it, I make it.  It has become a staple in my kitchen.

Last Mother's Day, my sweet Hubs got me the ice cream attachment.  I promptly washed the parts and they have been taking up space in my freezer ever since.  For some reason, I just never got around to making ice cream.  Until today. 

Our AC has been kind of wimpy for the past few days.  Of course this had to happen during the one hot spell we've had all summer.  Fortunately, we have a ceiling fan in ever room and the nights are cooler so we've been comfortable.  It's a little warmer than our normal (OK, a lot warmer. I keep it COLD) but tolerable.  I have been yearning for cool drinks and treats though.  I was pulling some ice out of the freezer and had a 'duh' moment.  Ice cream! 

I used milk with a bit of cream. Next time, I will use 100% cream.  Although the taste was spot on, both Hubs and I would have like creamier ice cream.  This was ice milk so it wasn't quite as smooth.

I started searching for recipes that would work in my Kitchenaid.  This is one I found.  I modified it slightly.  
Vanilla Ice Cream
1 can Sweetened Evaporated Milk
4 cups Milk/Half & Half/or Cream (I used 1/2 cup cream and 3-1/2 cups milk)
2 tsp. quality Vanilla

Mix sweet milk, milk/half & half/cream, and vanilla in a large bowl.  Cool in fridge.
Attach Ice Cream maker bowl and attachments to mixer.
Turn on #1 setting and pour milk mixture into cold bowl.
Process on #1 setting for 20 minutes.
Pour into container and put in fridge for 2 or more hours to harden.

How easy is that?  I did a taste test straight out of the maker and it was yummy.  The finished ice cream was sweet and intensely vanilla.  Just perfect for some of Grandma's Chocolate Sauce.  If you don't want to go through the trouble, just use some Hershey's. 


No comments:

Post a Comment