Saturday, September 21, 2013

Chili-Cheese Horseshoe Sandwich

My In-Laws were here for a visit last weekend from Springfield, IL.  Good times were had by all, especially my Step-Son, who cleaned up on the birthday presents.  He's the only grandchild on this side so yeah, he gets a lot of attention and yeah, lots of stuff too.  He's a good kid despite this.

This brings me to the Horseshoe sandwich.  It's a famous local sandwich that originated in Springfield, IL.  To be honest, I'd never heard of it until I got married but once I did, I was fascinated by the idea.

Now the original sandwich came from the Leland Hotel in 1928.  It started out as a open-face sandwich consisting of two slices of toast, topped with a slice of ham, a large serving of French fries, and then smothered in what appears to be a rarebit cheese sauce.

Over the years, the recipe has been played with and modified.  Seems the most popular version now consists of hamburger patties but there are even breakfast Horseshoes.  They all look delicious.

Hubs requested hamburgers & chili-cheese fries for dinner last night and this set my mind in motion.  Fries...hamburgers...chili-cheese sauce.  Hmmmm...how about a Horseshoe!?   This is what I came up with.  Have to say, it was absolutely delicious!  I'll definitely make it again but not too soon.  It's a fat bomb but ohhh so worth it! 

Chili-Cheese Horseshoe Sandwich
1-1/2 lbs. Ground Beef
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
1/2 small can Green Chilies
1 can No Bean Chili
1/4 package Velveeta
2 Tbls Wilson Chili Seasoning
Onion, chopped
French Fries (fried or baked, your choice)
Your favorite hamburger condiments (ketchup, mustard, etc.)

Season beef with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. 
Add green chilies. I only did 2 patties with the chilies as my Hubs doesn't care for them. 
Portion out 1/4 pound balls and form into patties on parchment or wax paper.  Set aside.
Pour chili into microwavable dish.
Add Velveeta and microwave for 1 minute.  Stir. 
Continue for 1 minute until cheese is mostly melted.
Add chili seasoning, stir, then microwave until all cheese is melted.  Keep warm.

Fry hamburger patties in skillet over medium heat and cook French Fries.  Keep warm.

To assemble:

Place a small amount of chili-cheese on plate.
Top with warmed bun.
Place hamburger patties on bun.
Cover with more chili-cheese.
Top this with a serving of French fries.
Sprinkle with chopped onions and green chilies.
Add your favorite condiments.  Ketchup was my choice. 
Devour! 

No comments:

Post a Comment