Monday, September 30, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Bundt with Maple Bourbon Cream Cheese Glaze

There is just something about the cool Fall weather that brings out the baker in me.  I want to bake cookies, pies and cakes.  Yes, I want to eat them all too but, I think I'll share. I decided to bake up a Bundt cake.  I've seen some 2-ingredient Bundt cakes popping up on the Internet and I decided today was the day.  I'm having a few friends over so this is perfect timing.

In honor of tomorrow being the first day of October, I chose Pumpkin Spice Bundt.  Nothing says fall like pumpkin & spices.  Unless it's maple and bourbon.  And pecans.  Can't forget pecans.  What I ended up with was Pumpkin Spice with Maple Bourbon Cream Cheese Glaze.  Have to say, my house smells so good right now!  Between the roasted pecans and the cake....Mmmmmmm....Heaven!

FYI:  You will have a bit of leftover glaze.  I kept mine and used it in my coffee.  Yummy!

Pumpkin Spice Bundt with Maple-Bourbon Cream Cheese Glaze
Cake:
1 box Spice Cake mix
1 can Pumpkin (don't get pumpkin pie mix. Not the same)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Cardamom
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
Glaze:
2 Tbl. Butter
2 Tbl. Cream
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbl. Cream Cheese
1 Tbl. Bourbon (I used Maker's Mark) If you don't like bourbon, use extra vanilla.
1/2 tsp. Maple Flavor
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup Powdered Sugar
Decorative Topping:
Toasted Pecans
Craisins

Cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Coat Bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Dump cake mix and pumpkin in mixer.  Mix together.
Add cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom and nutmeg and mix.
This stuff is very thick!  Make sure to even out you cake or it will not be pretty!
Pour into Bundt pan and bake for approximately 45 minutes, testing to make sure center is done.
Turn out on wire rack to cook.

Toasted Nuts:

Spread nuts on baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees F. for 5 minutes.
Stir and toast another 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn as this can happen quickly.
Set aside to cool.
Glaze:
Melt butter and cream together in the microwave. Mix together with brown sugar until sugar melts.
Add cream cheese, bourbon, maple flavor and vanilla and mix until cream cheese is well incorporated.
Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar, mix well.
Then add second 1/2 cup powdered sugar.  Mix well.
Drizzle over cake, letting it run down sides. 
Sprinkle cake with decorative topping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment