Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Easy Way to Chop an Onion

I never thought about showing someone an easy way to chop an onion until I met my husband.  He is 'culinarily' challenged.  He tries and I have to admit, he's come a long way in the five years we've been together.  He now knows the difference between cilantro and parsley, and can rattle off the flavors in any number of cuisines.  I'm very proud. 

He did not, however, know how to cut up an onion in an efficient manner.  First off, he just doesn't like onions.  I love onions so when he's making meals, he is so sweet and will chop onions for me.  Most of the time, they were 'artisanal' aka roughly cut and none the same size.  So, I finally gave him a class on how to do it. 

I figured there may be others out there who aren't real sure how to do it either so here is a step-by-step guide.  I promise I won't tell.  It's our little secret. ;)

How To Chop an Onion
Onion
Sharp Knife
 
Grab an onion.  Take off all the outside but leave and trim the root end but do not cut off.
Cut onion in half and place cut side down on cutting board.
Turn on side and make 1 or 2 slices down to root, again, being care not to cut through.  If it's a large onion, make 2 cuts. If it's small, you'll only need one.
Turn back so cut side is resting on cutting board.  Now, make several small cuts through the onion, trying to keep them about the same size.  This will make your chopped onions uniform in size.
Slice from the top down, again, keeping your cuts as uniform as possible.
Repeat same with the other half of the onion.
Now you have a beautiful pile of onion pieces, all about the same size.

No comments:

Post a Comment