Friday, September 13, 2013

Grandmom Finley's Chocolate Sauce

My Grandmom Finley was a fantastic cook.  She made the worlds best chocolate and pecan pies, fudge and date nut candy.  They were staples for all gatherings and when she passed away, we grandkids scrambled to find her coveted recipes. 

One favorite of the entire family was her homemade chocolate sauce.  In the hot summers of Tennessee, the family would gather and make ice cream.  This was a chore because it was before the fancy-schmancy electric ice cream makers.  Everyone had to take a turn with the crank.  It was worth the effort, though.  We covered the fresh ice cream with her dark chocolate sauce and licked up every single bite! 

I knew my Mom made some for a get together recently and my cousin said it was just like Grandma's, so I called her this morning to get the recipe.  Like most of Grandmom's recipes, there really was no recipe.  I got a list of ingredients and a lot of 'you know how it's supposed to look' and 'you remember what it tastes like'.  So, after a brief discussion, this is what I ended up with. 

The sauce turned out delicious and just like I remembered.  Hubs loved it too!

PS.  Only got two pics.  Sorry about that.  Trust me when I tell you it turned out well. 
Grandmom Finley's Chocolate Sauce
1 cup white Sugar
4 Tbl. dark Cocoa Powder
1/2 can Evaporated Milk (do not use sweetened condensed milk)
2 Tbl. Corn Syrup
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 Tbl. Butter

In a saucepan, mix together the sugar and cocoa.
Add evaporated milk, pouring in slowly and mix well. 
Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. 
Let syrup thicken to the consistency of corn syrup.  It takes about 5-10 minutes.  Keep stirring so it doesn't scorch.
Take off heat and add corn syrup, vanilla and butter.
It will thicken slightly as it cools but the corn syrup will keep it from getting hard.
Store in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment